Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sewing school

School is in session!  We started our new school year the day after Labor Day.  So far so good.  We have added some different curricula to our load this year which has been a bit stressful for me, but overall great for the kids.  We decided to focus on some homemaking skills this year so we are doing a lot of sewing, knitting and cooking.  I think that following a pattern or recipe is a great way to practice following directions and paying attention.  We bought a sewing book Sewing in a Straight Line, By Bret Bara and so far the girls have each made a skirt.  Olivia was the first so to practice we cut up some old drapes and made her skirt out of that (I might have watched The Sound of Music a few too many times) and I think it turned out pretty cute.

 Jayda needed a bit more help with hers and we used some other fabric we had laying around.

They have each picked their next projects: Olivia will do another skirt, and Jayda a dress.

1 comment:

  1. That's so funny because I was thinking how cute Jayda's skirt was in primary today! I love that she made it!

    ReplyDelete